Friday, July 28, 2006

Taxi Savvy

A tiny bit of New Yorker has surfaced from my thick Texan core. Who knew it could happen in only a month? I was hailing a cab today, as I always do to get from work to the Chinatown bus that takes me to Boston on the weekends. And, as always, it was taking way longer than I thought it should. About 30 cabs will pass me before one finally stops. And, often I’ll see some experienced New York pro whisk out in front of me and grab one at the last moment--stealing what should have been my ride. But not today! I had been standing on the corner for at least 10 minutes and some guy walks up just as a cab is slowing down for me. I walked right up to the cab, body checked the cab-stealer, and said “Excuse me!” quite firmly as I opened the door and blocked his way. He said, “Relax!” and indicated politely that it was mine fair and square. How about that?! I finally speak their language.


[Image from: http://www.shopnbu.com/]

No comments: