Sunday, July 30, 2006

10th Tri

I finished my tenth triathlon today. Yep, the big one oh. I’ve been doing the Danskin women’s triathlon every year since 1997, and I’ve missed only two of them--one year for being sick and one year for not finding anyone one to drive with me there (lame!)--but anyway, I made those up by doing two others one year when I was on a racing kick. Thank goodness I got over that, because today was exhausting, and I now need a year-long break to recover.

I know that every race presents a new challenge, but this one surprised me. As you know from a previous post, I am not able to run these days because of my arch nemesis (hah! pun intended), the Evil Bone Spur. So, I’ve been feeling a little sad about participating anyway and having to walk instead of run the last part. Perambulating casually while everyone else is huffing and puffing just goes against all the thrill of a race. There’s no pushing yourself and feeling the wind through your hair and getting that endorphin rush. I don’t even think my heart rate was up by mile 2. Very uncool!

So, to make up for the disappointment of not getting to try for my personal best, I decided to participate in the race as a journalist. I bought a clip on mic, borrowed the school’s minidisk recorder, and made arrangements for my friend Pat to hand my recording gear to me when I got out of the swim. I somehow managed to stick it on my bike and not wind the wires into my chain, and I just held it while I ran. It was pretty fun. Not only do I have hilarious tape of me wheezing and cursing while pumping up some steep hills during the biking segment, but I also got to interview some co-participants and my training buddies during the running segment and before and after the race. I think it should make a pretty fun radio piece once I get some time to edit it all together. The most hilarious discovery was that it didn’t occur to me until mid race that I was that crazy lady talking to herself. Oh well, the things we sacrifice for a good story.


The lovely “Before” picture

PS. I won’t post the “After” pics, because our inner beauty was blinding.

No comments: