Monday, July 24, 2006

Bad Journalist, Bad

So, in my excited gush over the sea plane experience, I forgot to admit something. I’m a terrible journalist. I'll admit it: I hate talking to people I don’t know--quite a liability in a profession that relies on interviews with total strangers. When it's really bad, I get overly anxious and full of self-loathing. I don’t know why it hasn’t gotten much better since the beginning of my school year when I first discovered this. The way I’ve overcome my dismal problem when it comes over me is by forcing myself to just do it, but it feels like forcing myself to fall off a cliff and trusting that there is a pool of deep water to break my fall. This method failed me at the last minute today. Alas, I had wanted to interview the sea plane pilot because I thought that would make a fun radio show. However, at the last second, I panicked, decided that I was on vacation and I didn’t have to get up the nerve to bother this guy, and jettisoned the plan. I couldn’t renege because he packed my bag in the plane’s floaty feet. (Did you know that they store things in those whatchamacallits?! I didn’t--cool huh!) Too bad, because it could have been pretty cool to get some sea plane audio. Maybe I’ll move to Seattle and try again when I’ve developed some cajones.


Gorgeous Orcas Island


More of the same, only at dusk

No comments: