Monday, July 03, 2006

Spurned Bone Spur

My triathlon training has been stopped dead in its tracks due to a spiky bit of bone that has grown out of my heel. Yes, that is as painful as it sounds. I had been wondering why my super expensive running shoes and slacker training regime (well the regime is not slack, but my adherence to it is) have not prevented the usual pain associated with getting into shape. I’ve noticed that the day after every run, even when I go just a mile and at a very slow pace, I get horrible pain in my left heel. It dulls after a few days and then I go for another run, only to re-experience the day of limping afterwards. This has been going on for a few months now. I didn’t think anything of it until I took a couple weeks off from running--unintentionally of course, but intentionally is what I told my doctor and what I should have told Coach Meanie. Anyway, when I finally went for a reasonable two-miler last week, I was barely able to walk the next day. I hobbled to work, grinding a bit of enamel off my teeth in the process. Anyway, this day of pain signaled to a very stupid brain that perhaps I should go to the doctor. The x-rays below show my new enemy.

No comments: