Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Stack of Potential

This is my favorite stage of quilting, when all the pieces of fabric have been cut and they are ready to be pieced together. It’s the protoquilt. This weekend, I cut out 288 triangles and 720 squares, for a total of 1,008 pieces of fabric. They stand in tidy stacks, their velvety strata the result of about six hours of hand cutting. (That’s because I can’t find my rotary cutter, so I was forced to go 19th century on those ten colorful yards of calico.)

Now for the piecing stage. That's when I find out whether I got the math right. In my textbook writing, I’ve tried to include a few quilting questions in the math workbooks. However, oddly enough, most real-world quilting geometry is too advanced for even the high school level. It’s those pesky right triangles with their ¼-inch seam allowances. Anyway, yesterday I started piecing, and I’ll know within a few more hours of work whether I got the calculations right.

No comments: