Thursday, June 01, 2006

Quilting in the Electronic Age

Because driving around Boston is such a hassle, and because drunken bar people have been whittling our car down to a tiny smashed nub, I thought I’d try a new approach to fabric shopping. I tried a little experiment to see what ordering fabric online might be like. I am itching to start three different quilt projects, one for a brother who got married a year ago, one for a brother who is getting married this summer, and another for my sister-in-law who is also getting married this summer. Anyway, I shopped online and found the perfect fabric combos, got them approved by all three couples, and then tried to order the fabric. Let’s just say I will be braving Boston traffic and heading to the nearest fabric store once I get some work done this week. It did not go well. Not only did the e-fabric-stores not have a third of my chosen prints in stock, but of course, I just got the package, and none of the fabrics look like their pics. I know, this was always a serious risk, but it was shocking to discover how wrong they could be. All the reds were oranges and none of the peaches matched in intensity. Oh well, it was a nice try, even if a very pricey try.

My conclusion: Like other aspects of quilting, don’t bother getting high tech. The old-fashioned way is pretty much the best way. Hmm…I’ll have to make an exception to that rule. Rotary cutters are freakin’ incredible inventions.

PS. I must admit that receiving a tidy little package packed snug with vibrant crafting potential was quite a delight. They even included a little chintzy piece of tissue paper to keep the full-color receipt from bleeding onto my calicos. It was a seamstress’s fantasy come true. My crumby cell phone camera doesn’t do it justice:



PPS. Now imagine this quilt:



With these fabrics:




Very exciting, n’est-ce pas!

1 comment:

porkmuffin said...

indeed! lovely! some day i hope to have a "life experience" worthy of one of your quilts. every quilt of yours that i have seen has made me sigh with appreciation and delight.