Friday, June 23, 2006

The Seed of New Beginnings

I started the new job this week. It’s a bit of a shock working at an actual office from 10 to 6 with coworkers milling about after so many years of working in my pajamas, at all hours of the day and night, in complete silence, and at liberty to take breaks whenever I like. (Plus, I’m used to getting paid more than $4 an hour, but I suppose I’m not allowed to complain about this because it’s for college credit. Keep your eyes on the prize, Molly.) The magazine office is quite casual--thank goodness, because I don’t really fit into any of my old work clothes. Yet, this informal atmosphere does not automatically inspire professional results in me. I will have to draw inspiration from something else…perhaps the endless supply of free coffee.

I never thought that I would grow up to be one of those stuffy types who desires order and formality, but here I am narrowing my eyes at the loud cussing and general disorder of the editing romper-room/shared office space. It will probably be good for me to learn to chill a bit and take social breaks in between paragraphs. Also, they seem to be a sharp, talented group that produces quality material, so I guess they’re doing something right. And, how cool is it to be stuck in NYC for a couple of months! I think this will be a pretty fun summer. Hopefully, I’ll learn something, too.

A street fair scene on my work commute route:

No comments: