Sunday, January 29, 2006

Rest in Peace, Sweet Otto-Spot

Dearest Otto,

We’ll miss you sweet pup. I haven’t gotten to spend much time with you in the last half of your life, but I have some very fond memories of the first half. You were the cutest little teddy bear of a puppy. It must have been the chow in you, but I remember thinking that it was impossible for you to be any cuter. And when you were older, you were the best guard dog a scaredy-cat girl could ever have. I never felt afraid of the murder-rapists with you in the house. You were a very special dog and will always claim a sacred place in the dog-loving parts of my heart (which grow bigger every day).

love,
your old roomie

P.S. to my readers:

I’ve had many a run-in with my own dogs in which I’ve thought, “Why couldn’t you be more like Otto, who doesn’t chew up my things and doesn’t chase cats and is very tidy about his poo habits!?” I know, it’s bad to say that to a little innocent animal, but hopefully dogs don’t understand English and therefore are not traumatized by this kind of out-loud thinking. As dog owners, we get to choose which habits we work on and which we let slide, so really, I know that it’s my fault my dogs are cat-terrorists. Cosmo, my fat orange cat, got along better with Otto than any other dog I have known--in particular my own.

I do remember that once, when I was living with Otto, we had a strange homeless girl living on our couch, I can’t remember why, and Otto got into her stash of chocolate bars, cigarettes, and marijuana. (Apparently, though residentially challenged, her life wasn’t so bad.) Despite the rumor that chocolate kills canines, Otto just seemed a little out of it that evening, thank goodness, and the whole incident turned out to be humorous. In fact, I remember that this feat of gastric strength always seemed to impress college guys who heard the story, I don’t know why. I wish I could think of a more-flattering and less-bizarre vignette from Otto’s little doggie life, but alas, only the extraordinary comes to mind at the moment. I hope that Otto forgives my weakness in the memory department.

This is not Otto, but it reminds of him as a puppy:


[Image from: http://community.webshots.com/photo/81561892/1090212776033696810zfVgrb]

No comments: