Saturday, January 28, 2006

Good Vibrations

Another unusual day of good weather led to my sitting with the dogs on a street bench in Cambridge, while Scott shopped for art supplies. I felt a subtle rumbling under my seat, which at first I thought was an earthquake. Do we get seismic activity up here?! But then I realized that it must be the subway. How funny it is to live in a large city and experience such sensations, which are so quotidian to everyone else but novel to me. The same thing is still true of snow. Every once in a while I will be walking down the street, laboring through mountainous snowdrifts and accidentally skating on slick patches of black ice, and I’ll think, “I live here--in a city where snow is boring and people don’t think that the subway is an exotic urban adventure!” How long before it is no longer unfamiliar?


[Image from: http://www.hibblenradio.com/transportation.html]

No comments: