Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tres Leches

Guess how many types of milk are in a tres leches cake.  Three of course!  I've always known what "tres leches" means in translation.  But, because I couldn't name three kinds of milk offhand (other than whole, skim, and 2%), I figured the name was referring to something about the quantity of milk--three cups?  Or, perhaps it was about the number of steps in which you needed to add milk--before, during, and after baking?  Or, perhaps still it had to do with some old Mexican proverb about "3 milks in the cake is worth 2 in the bush" or...look, I just didn't ever take the time to think about what it meant!  Now that I have made a tres leches cake, it seems perfectly obvious.  And, these are not exotic milks--check it out:





And, by the way, it was delicious!

No comments: