Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Observed

The first two pictures of Django below are from February.  Compare with the more recent two pictures that follow.  Let me just announce this officially:  Django is not a baby.  I know, you all have known this for a while now.  But, I'm his mother, so I've been in the dark about this transformation/loss/development.  It kind of snuck up on me, partly because he doesn't really talk like a person yet.  He does a lot of hollering mostly, punctuated rarely by a single perfectly pronounced word.  Our friend Mike described it exactly--when Django speaks, it is as shocking as if the dog had spoken.  In fact, I have caught myself in the split second after an uttered word looking at both Django and the dog to identify exactly who said "bubbles" or "yellow" or "butterfly".  The buzzcut we gave him a month ago kind of jolted us into perspective.  Without the baby bouffant, I could finally see that his cheek fat had melted off, his body had lengthened, and his tummy had slimmed.  Scott's mom said he now looks like he is 20 years old.  It's true!  He looks like a miniature dude.  When he wears long shorts and goes shirtless (or wears wife-beaters) and stirs up trouble with a devious smile and a tricky glint in his eye, I feel I'm dealing with a mischievous redneck/fratboy/skater-dude.  He even has worn an ollie hole in his converse sneakers.  How?  I don't know--I've never even seen him on a skateboard!  Who is this young man?


No comments: