Monday, June 09, 2008

Success...Wait...Yes, Success!!

I did the triathlon yesterday (half miles swim, 13 mile bike, 3 mile run), and I did it without stopping. Here are my results:

Swim (21:27) Bike (48:33) Run (39:28)
Final Time with Transitions (1:59:05)
Overall Rank (1021st out of 2592)

Under two hours—hooray! I’ve certainly had better results in the nearly a dozen times that I’ve done this race, but this time the stakes were personally higher: I was out to prove that I could still do it after having a baby. I’d love to say that the lack of sleep, lack of time, and lack of money associated with new motherhood (not to mention the weight gain and abdominal muscle deterioration) hasn’t changed me when it comes to essentials. But the truth is, sometimes it seems that I’m almost a different person entirely.

I remember when we were deciding to have a baby I was scared because I really didn’t want to lose the ability to do the things that I enjoy: experience exotic travel adventures, carry out elaborate fitness and craft schemes, take pleasure in my work, and see an ungodly amount of movies. I’m pretty much 0 for 4 by Old Molly standards. Old Molly didn’t have a cute little baby, which New Molly finds a great joy. New Molly looks at her plate and says, I’ve traveled, I’ve exercised and crafted, I’ve earned some money, and I’ve seen a few movies—what’s your problem? I COULD do all the things I used to do at the rate and quality I used to do them, but who has the energy?

Even the half-ass job I’ve done on all these fronts required way more time and effort than I feel is worth for the meager results. I mean, a movie for example has to be fan-freakin-tastic for me to spend an hour prepping for a babysitter, paying someone $40 for the 4 hours of childcare, and spending an hour afterwards trying to get Tillie back into her evening routine. What happened to the girl who would always make spur-of-the-moment non-plans to see truly-bad-but-truly-hilarious action flicks? She disappeared the day Tillie came to be. Maybe she’ll come back when a certain someone goes off to college.

Getting pumped for the swim:


The victorious sprint to the finish line:


With Camile, my sideline coach and support-and-gear maven

No comments: