Friday, April 20, 2007

Sincronicidades

I had to get a haircut this week because I was looking a little bit shaggy, and it just felt like it couldn’t wait until I moved back to Austin. This didn’t need to be a great haircut and I have pretty much given up on searching for the perfect haircut in Boston--too expensive, too difficult. (It’s not clear that anyone in this town has short hair.) Anyway, I thought I’d gamble and go to the woman who just opened up a salon half a block from our apartment. I went in there, started describing the cut that I wanted and realized that she didn’t speak English very well. I was feeling bold and decided to let her cut my hair even though it was pretty clear she was not comfortable with how short I wanted it--not a good sign. Then, she had a conversation with the other stylist, in Portuguese, not realizing that I could kind of follow what she was saying--something about deciding which one of them should do my hair, even though it was “her first day”--did I get that right? It wasn’t clear which of them was having a first day--was it my stylist? Again, not a good sign. Then she completely doused me during the shampoo. I mean, my entire collar was wet, water went down my chest and into my belly button, and I think she even got water in my ear. More signs pointing to run-the-hell-out-of-the-salon. Anyway, I don’t know why I kept on, but something compelled me to stay.

When she found out that I used to take Portuguese, she was very excited and insisted on making me practice. She pulled in the other stylist and they proceeded to have a conversation about the supermodel Giselle and periodically quizzed me on what I could understand. Then, the subject of her pregnancy came up--she was 5 months along. I told her that I was 4 months along and there was much fussing and showing of ultrasound pictures and comparing of pregnancy guides and condoling about symptoms and guessing about gender. The hilarious part was that it turns out that we have the exact same obstetrician, whom I had chosen randomly off the internet and whom she had gone to on the express recommendation of all of her Brazilian mamma-friends. I hadn’t realized this but my obstetrician is Portuguese and gets a lot of business because of all the Brazilian families that live in my neighborhood. I adore my obstetrician and this just made me love her more. Now I wish I could be around here to have her deliver my baby, and to meet my hairdresser’s baby, and to show off my baby when it is born. How quickly one feels roots plunging down into the ground when pregnant! I mean, I have never really felt like this place is home, and I’m dying to get back to Austin, but suddenly I’m feeling homesick for a life that I never planned to have.

The haircut was decent, turned out to be only $14, and I learned a new word in Portuguese.


[Image from: http://whatidiscover.vox.com/library/posts/tags/%22police+(+band+)%22/]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You gonna post a pic of your new DO?

now if you just boght a lotto ticket
from the same store where that guy won "a lot Of" Dollars