Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Nice Man Gives Awful News

The nicest man in the world just gave me the worst news I have heard in a long time: Because I am already pregnant, the state of Texas refuses to sell me health insurance at any cost until a month after my baby is born. I could go into the reasons why, but they are complicated, and what it comes down to is insurance companies won't cover me or Scott.

My husband and I are self-employed. We have lovely health insurance in Boston leftover from my student plan. It ends on Sept 1st. My due date is October 8th. Without insurance, it costs about $5,000 to have an epidural and a baby--if nothing goes wrong. If something goes wrong, the reason you get health insurance, the sky is the limit for what it can cost. The insurance companies know this. They don't want any part of it. In Texas, those fun-loving, family-promoting, big-business kiss asses in the state legislature feel they have to protect only people who are employed by larger companies. They don't make laws protecting the self employed.

So, here are my options:

* My Boston student health insurance company kindly extends my coverage past my end date so that I can get emergency services in Texas. (Fingers are crossed that this is possible.)
* We go insurance-free and pray nothing goes wrong.
* One of us gets a job asap and then quits it a month after junior arrives.
* I apply to a cheap college, enroll in classes, and pretend to get a degree.
* We see if there are any self employment groups that have tackled this problem--surely there must be!
* We divorce and I marry someone else who has health insurance and then divorce him and then remarry my true love.
* We take a little trip to Mexico and give birth there.

What kind of butthead would set up this situation?! When they pull this shit on gay people, they say it is to protect the institution of marriage and having babies--what's their lame-ass excuse this time? And, what kind of value system is it that screws over all my friends and me in the name of bigotry and corporate greed? Do I really want to move to this state?


[Image from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gustave_Dore_Inferno34.jpg]

No comments: