Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Little Critter’s Pitter Patter

[Note: If you are a friend of mine and this is the first time you have heard that I am pregnant, please forgive me and then contact me. I didn’t mean to leave you out of the loop!]

I heard the heart beat of my baby today. It changed everything for me. Not only did that sound provide the first real evidence that I am pregnant, but it also felt like the first time I connected with the little guy. The first three months seem so theoretical. All the signs of pregnancy (except for the cheesy pregnancy test--who trusts those anyway?) are pretty much just exaggerated versions of PMS. You start to think, “Maybe I made the whole thing up.” I kept waking up at night feeling really embarrassed, thinking, ohmygosh, I’m going to have to tell people that I have been faking it. But no longer!! At least one other person besides myself (and Scott)--a health care professional--agrees: I’m definitely pregnant and, whatever it is, it is definitely alive.

I wish that I had been able to record the little galloping sound of its baby bird pulse. Sadly, the obstetrician greased up my belly and whipped out the Doppler device before I had a chance to grab my recorder. And, it is difficult to ask someone to stop what they are doing when you are mostly naked on an examination table. Scott said I am a terrible journalist for this misstep, hee, hee. Well, he’s right--when it comes to command performance reporting while wearing a hospital gown, I am no Ira Glass.


[Image from: http://www.wprc.org/trimester1.phtml]

No comments: