Thursday, December 21, 2006

Unplugged

This afternoon I had an interview with a certain technology and culture magazine that is “plugged in,” so to speak. Not such a great interview for various reasons, but that’s beside the point. The point, Vanessa, is that the guy said to me, “Well you obviously have a lot of life experience, and that is a good thing.” That is actually more succinctly put than what he said, but what he said was kind of a rambling, stumbling, oops what is coming out of my mouth, now I’ve done it, verbal diarrhea thing that is fine for schizophrenic blogs, but confusing and scary in an interview. He said it almost like this: “Oh don’t worry about not being that great or having just said the wrong thing or that you are obviously one of our last choices because we are looking to hire someone by NEXT WEEK and we must have offered the job to about 12 other people before desperately calling you. Don’t worry about those things because you have got one thing going for you: you’re old.” I know this is what he meant, because I’m young and I’ve said this to old people when I was feeling self conscious about my lack of experience. “You’ve got a lot of life experience.” Well, maybe I never said it out loud, but I probably thought it. Here I am thinking I’m young and at the beginning of my career and the guy who is potentially going to hire me is getting self conscious about maybe having to ask me to do the menial tasks associated with an internship. Gee, who thought that at 31, you would be considered over the hill by your peers? Didn’t he get the memo that 40 is the new 30?


[Image from: http://www.buffalocomputertraining.com/?key=599CD]

No comments: