Sunday, April 15, 2012

Toddlebot

I tried to come up with a new working-mother-of-two design for the robot quilt (i.e. faster to make so that I can catch up on the quilt backlog). It's based on the square I did for my friend Camile's quilt, so it has that extra bit of love and tender sadness blended into it. It probably took as long to make as the original robot baby quilt design, but it translates better into a toddler quilt. I have gifted it to my sweet and darling 1.5-year-old niece Anais. Behold:

See how the photo makes it feel like you are unwrapping a gift from me to you?

Is that a familiar shape that I detect? Yes, an outline of a robot!

A small robot recharges in the corner of the quilt, which is mostly tie quilted beyond a couple of hand quilted details.

See how I messed up the embroidery with a jaunty backwards s? Totally intentional. You see, the native americans believed that every hand crafted item should have a mistake woven into it to act as an escape portal to let out the evil spirits...um...okay yeah, so I had an attack of needlepoint dyslexia. Anais doesn't mind, so shut up.

Anais, proving me right:

2 comments:

Kate said...

AWESOME! I love it - and totally stick with the homemade-intentional-error story. My parents have a grandfather clock on which the grooves in the wooden spindles/columns are spaced farther apart on one side than the other (if that makes sense), & we were always told that it was an intentional imperfection. Now when Anias' great-great-great-great-great grandchild brings the quilt onto Antiques Roadshow, the quilt expert will KNOW it is a M. Wetterschneider original.

Mommy said...

She loves this quilt, but from the picture it's hard to say who looks more excited for her to receive it me or her... Just kidding, it is clear my excitement is over her loving her quilt. Her smile is so big and aimed at her talented Aunt Molly.