Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Plate-Letting

I donated platelets today in honor of a friend who is needing them. Too bad I can't fedex my particular bag of life juice directly to her. Hopefully, there is some sort of domino effect with my giving blood causing a line of people giving blood to cascade in her direction all the way to Houston. Still, it feels good to give something, and it has the added bonus of being a futuristic, science-infused endeavor. I find blood chemistry fascinating! (By the way, did you know that the inventor of the blood bank was an African American? Charles Drew. These are the kinds of things that we textbook writers file away for future reference.)

The lady at the blood bank said that she had me down as last giving in 1994. Yikers--I was 19 then! So young, so generous. What happened to me over the next 14 years that I didn't give blood again? Why does it take a personal friend going through hell for me to hike it over to the blood bank? Please check back in with me and see if I've turned over a new leaf and made this a regular thing--preferably sooner than 14 years from now.

More busy baby vacay pics:

No comments: