Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ewrphans

I just recently finished a craft I started last fall--three stuffed elephants for Tillie--they are so cute! (I blogged about making them as gifts for kiddos last Christmas--just never got around to finishing the ones I cut out for my own daughter.)

Tillie loves elephants, which she calls "ewrphans." This sounds a lot like orphans, which I've had on my mind lately. I would like to adopt one. If you have any suggestions--like especially if know of someone who is wanting to give up their kid for adoption--please send them my way.

I spoke with a couple of adoption agencies in town and they said they would not accept a couple who is fertile. After much boohooing and feeling how unfair that was, I matured about 20 years (from an emotional age of 2) and realized perhaps being fertile is quite lucky and maybe I should stop my whining. Next realization: there are not enough unwanted infants or desperate pregnant women in America for all the adopting parents out there--this is a good thing. So, this means we will have to go international.

For the first time in my life I wished I knew more pregnant teens and/or unfit/poverty-stricken mothers. Again, please keep an eye out for those for me.


4 comments:

Dork Reporter said...

What about looking out of town? My grandparents were living in Wichita Falls when they adopted my father from a Catholic hospital in Fort Worth. The Edna Gladney Center for Adoption is still a big one here, although I don't know what they say about you fertile people. =c)

thixotropy said...

Actually, that is the very place I spoke with. They seem terrific, though obviously very selective. Alas, I wish we could use them.

Dork Reporter said...

This sounds like a fertile-discrimination lawsuit needs to happen!

(Kidding. But that would be sort of funny, right?)

hellolua said...

I used to work with a woman in Austin who adopted through the Gladney Center. She was infertile, and it was quite an ordeal, but in the end, they got a beautiful daughter. Our best friends here adopted from Ethiopia and their son is AWESOME. They just started the process to adopt a second child from the same place... I can ask for the name of the agency if you're interested. They did a ton of research in an effort to find someplace that was ethically sound and had a really great experience with them.