Monday, July 14, 2008

Shew!

Two months after Scott and I married, we refinanced our house. For some reason, that was the day that I felt the real impact of our commitment. It was the first time that we really combined our finances, which was somehow more stressful than committing to someone emotionally for life. Plus, there was a new couch purchase and we couldn't agree on how comfy or funky or leathery it should be--basically a bunch of mundane things that didn't seem as important as monogamy became much more important than the whole marriage decision. I remember thinking after the whole thing settled that I was a real idiot for having married a guy before sorting all that out, but wasn't I super lucky that he was a good guy after all?!

Well, it happened again. I had a kid with someone (probably the biggest commitment of all) before finding out for certain that he is in fact the best father I have ever known. How lucky I am to have found someone so devoted to our baby and so good at playing with her and feeding her and keeping her happy and healthy! If he asked me to marry him today, I would certainly say yes and I would know that it was the smartest decision I could ever make.

1 comment:

TaylorM said...

That was the sweetest, most lovingest post I think I have ever read. I'm getting all misty.

Anyway, how are you guys?? Busy with baby, I guess. Hope to hear from you.