Thursday, December 15, 2005

Verbosity

It's official. I use too many words when I write. This semester, we had a 700 word limit on our weekly science newswriting papers, and I would always spend only 2 or 3 hours writing them and then at least 1 hour trying to shave them down from 786 to exactly 700 words. Last night, I turned in my final for my science magazine class and the word count was supposed to be 1200-1800 words. I wrote 1950. I couldn't trim it down, because I ran out of time. It's a damn fine paper on planetary science and the struggle between scientists and lay people over the importance to classifying solar system objects as planets, but hey, I'm a failure because I can't be succinct.

Next semester, my goal will be to be brief. Maybe I'll read some Hemmingway in preparation. Maybe I'll write what I should have written for this blog:

I write too much.

Go see King Kong.

Molly like.


[Image from: http://nutter.net/dana/humor/joke.asp?r=605&lang=en]

No comments: