Sunday, March 07, 2010

Mooblie Reviews

Tillie's Oscar Picks:


Today is the day that I get to really nerd out on movies. I just adore the Oscars. I love the challenge of trying to see all the nominated movies before the big day, I love drooling over the red carpet outfits, and I truly love bitching about the results and about how my favorite indy movie got beat by some blockbuster crap. (It is a yearly tradition since the Titanic swept in 1998.)

I managed to see 23 out of the 43 films nominated this year--not my best work, but I get a "good effort" award for having done this while maintaining a full-time job, raising a 2-year-old, and adopting a newborn. Here is my list of nominated movies that I saw and my one line review of each:

Avatar – pretty fluff
Coco Before Chanel – inspiring and chic
Coraline – spooky fun
Crazy Heart – heartbreaking with good tunes
District 9 – awesome, smart, and gross
An Education – smart coming-of-age
Fantastic Mr. Fox – cool, but also too cool
Food, Inc. – horrifying and extremely informative
Harry Potter and Some Guy – dark and dumb
The Hurt Locker – war sucks but this movie doesn’t
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus – dazzling weird-cool (We all miss Heath.)
In the Loop – high-larious and cussy
Julie & Julia – dummy and yummy (Streep was brilliant, though.)
The Last Station – beautiful and sad
Nine – lameness to music (Go see an actual Italian classic instead.)
The Princess and the Frog – fun but formulaic
A Serious Man – seriously interesting and gorgeously shot
Sherlock Holmes – charming adventure with sass and blasts
A Single Man – sad and pretty
Star Trek – cornball adventure with blasts only
Transformers – truly awful
Up – delightful with one truly brilliant scene
Up in the Air – engaging but over-rated

And, because you really came here to see the picture of a cute kid, here is one that Scott took of us and used an iPhone ap to cartoonify:


5 comments:

Kate said...

Love your reviews! I have seen all of 4 of those movies on your list (that total likely to remain 4, even if I looked through the whole Oscar list). I actually surprised myself and liked Up in the Air better than Sherlock H. Loved Up much more than either of those though! Am curious what you think is its one truly brilliant scene?

thixotropy said...

***SPOILER ALERT, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T YET SEEN THE MOVIE "UP"***
It was the scene where they showed the whole relationship of the older couple, which ended in her passing. At least, I think that is what it showed. I might've forgotten the actual content. I just remember thinking it was one of the most beautiful depictions of a marriage that I had ever seen on film, animated or live action.

Kate said...

Oh yes - i do remember that -- beautiful. Hope you had fun oscar viewing! I am very curious to see the Hurt Locker now....

Mommy said...

Having a two year old addicted to UP, I have seen it now about 24 times. The scenes Molly refers to which depict in total silence that even a 2 year old can understand the budding and dying love of a couple was by far the best I have seen. The single scene in which wordlessy it is clear she cannot conceive is breathtaking and it's a cartoon! Good call Molly!

thixotropy said...

Yes, I was sobbing in the theater and thinking to myself--this is the first 15 minutes of a cartoon!