Thursday, September 03, 2009

Frank Talk About Pluto

If you have not been following the Pluto controversy, I highly recommend reading up. No, knowing about it will not affect any part of your day, year, or life. No, ignoring it will not put anyone's lives (or livelihoods even) in danger. However, it is one of those purely intellectual quandaries that make us delightfully human and I don't want you to miss out on it.

The debate also brings to light what science is about and how it can and should affect society and education--but it does so without threatening anyone's religious beliefs, health, or budget. (A la evolution, stem cells, and global warming...) It is a lovely, accessible thought experiment. And, everyone from all walks of life seems to have a strong opinion about it. I am dying to know what Tillie and her generation will have decided in 30 years.

I just read something (old news, well, not even news really) that blew my mind. "Pluto last crossed Neptune's orbit on Jan. 23, 1979, and remained within it until Feb. 11, 1999." (from NASA's website) I had heard this, that Pluto spends 20 years as the 8th planet rather than the 9th planet from the Sun every 250 years--no biggie. However, I didn't realize that this was occurring NOW! (That was "then" of course.) It was happening while I was learning about Pluto!! Pretty much from the time I could understand what a planet was and that there were 9 of them and that they were in a certain order--until the time that I was beginning my career as a textbook editor--Pluto wasn't even where it was I thought it was in the solar system. Nobody mentioned this to me!!!

Why is this little factoid important? Well, if you feel that Pluto's status as a planet hinges on tradition--then perhaps you should consider that Pluto itself completely disregards tradition. He (or is it a girl?) says, "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally, but my very educated mother just served us pine nuts and NOT nine pickles, at least while I'm on my tropical sesquibicentennial vacation in the sunny part of Neptune's orbit, hah, hah, hah!" What a little imp!

Meanwhile, Tillie shops for a revised poster of the solar system...


No comments: